Frequently Asked Questions

How old do I need to be to hire?

Age 21 up to 75. Drivers between 21 and 24 are subject to an additional £20 per day young driver insurance, and up to £1250 insurance excess. Drivers 75 – 80 are considered subject to approval by our insurers. Please ask.

Do I need to pay a security deposit?

We don't usually ask for a security deposit. We do reserve the right to ask for up to £500 deposit in rare circumstances.

Does your price include insurance?

Fully comprehensive insurance we an excess of up to £1000 is included on all vehicle hires. We do offer Excess Cover to reduce your excess if you wish to reduce your liability. Young driver insurance has an excess up to £1250, Excess Cover is not available for young drivers.

Do I need driving experience?

Yes you should of held your licence for a minimum of 12 – 24 months depending on circumstances of your hire. All of our vehicles can be driven on a standard car licence.

What if I have points on my licence?

We can accept most minor convictions, get in touch to ask.

Can I add extra drivers?

Every hire comes with 1 free additional driver. Any additional drivers are charged at £6 per day UK Travel and £12 per day European travel.

Can I extend my hire if I wish to do so?

Hire extensions are available if we have availability. Please call the office to arrange an extension.

Do I need to put fuel in the vehicle?

Yes. All vehicles are filled with around ¼ tank of fuel and should be returned with approximately the same amount in. We always advise to keep your receipt as proof of purchase.

What if I get a speeding ticket / parking fine?

All fines / notices / charges are the responsibility of the hirer. We will either debit the cost from your card or send a representation to the issuing body. We will charge an admin fee between £25 and £54 for this.

What happens if I am late returning my hire vehicle?

Vehicles returned more than 10 minutes late will be subject to additional half day charge which is payable upon return. It is much preferred that you talk to us to extend rather than arrive late.

What happens if my vehicle breaks down?

Call the breakdown number displayed on the windscreen of your vehicle. For further advise on breakdowns see here.

What should I do if my vehicle is in a collision or accident?

Try so stay calm, and call 999 if you are able to do so.
For minor incidents take the third parties details, take photos of the incident area and complete the accident form in your glovebox. For further advice on collisions/damage see here.